Self-catering holidays can be one of the most environmentally friendly ways to holiday and as such we have gone to great lengths to be even greener so we can preserve the great county of Norfolk.
Walking and cycling
We have included lots of information on walking and beaches in Norfolk in the 'About Norfolk' section of our website. If you are a homeowner with us and would like to encourage more walking and cycling in your area, why not join up to VisitEngland's Walking and Cycling Scheme. Cycle Hire Norfolk is a wonderful county to explore on two wheels, and there are a host of cycle hire companies available. HuffandPuffCycles in Kelling Heath, NorfolkCycleHire in Wells-next-the-Sea, Broadland Cycle Hire ideal for exploring the Broads and for motorised cycle hire ElectrifyingCycles in Cromer is the place to visit.
East Anglia is very accessible and has some great transportation in the county. There is also the Norfolk Green and Norfolk County Council Coast Hopper Service in the North Coast of Norfolk which is great for travelling around as it covers Kings Lynn to Cromer. Your well-behaved dogs are also always welcome to travel with you for free on this service. Another bus service is Sanders Coaches Ltd, offering a reliable service covering Fakenham, Briston, Holt, Sheringham, Cromer, North Walsham and Norwich. More Information For more information on sustainability at Norfolk Country Cottages, please email us at email@example.com
At your cottage, reduce energy by switching off lights and closing windows if heating is on. The Energy Saving Trust provides information on what you can do to save energy at home and when on holiday. Please visit www.energysavingtrust.org.uk for more advice.
Give the car a rest
Whilst on your cottage holiday, leave the car behind, if only for a day. Walk, cycle or use public transport. We will happily provide you with advice. You may want to visit the Traveline website, Seat61 or Sustrans for more advice on how to travel in Norfolk without using your car. If you are staying on the North Norfolk Coast we would recommend the Coast Hopper service.
Use local products, they give you a flavour of the area and help support local communities. We are fortunate to have some fantastic producers of food, drink and arts and crafts. Ask us about local markets or local and regional produce. We promote local food and work alongside We Love Local Food to bring the region’s best produce direct to your door step when you are in your self-catering holiday home.
Reduce, reuse, recycle
Try to avoid overly packaged goods and say no to that extra carrier bag. Check in your property information pack for details of recycling. There are usually recycling bins at our self-catering properties but they may be a different colour to those in your own area, so do please check.
Be water wise
The UK has rising costs for water treatment and flood defence, especially important to the low lying areas of East Anglia so please use water wisely. Turn off the tap when brushing your teeth and adhere to towel policies or other water saving initiatives. Please see the water guide for more information.
Help us to look after the beautiful landscape and wildlife of our county by not littering, guarding against fire and using footpaths and cycle-ways responsibly. Ensure you follow the Countryside Code.
Norfolk Country Cottages is committed to managing environmental impact as an integral part of our operations. In particular it is our policy to assure the environmental integrity of our processes and facilities at all times. We will do so by adhering to the following principles:
- We will continually seek opportunities to improve our environmental performance by establishing objectives and targets, measuring progress and reporting our results; including but not limited to energy, water, paper and fuel consumption and vehicle miles travelled.
- We will promote participation and communicate our commitment to responsible environmental management by promoting environmental responsibility among our employees; by providing the necessary training and support to enable them to implement this policy; by informing suppliers of our environmental policy and encouraging them to adopt effective environmental management practices; and by soliciting input from our employees, suppliers, homeowners, customers and board members in meeting our environmental goals.
- We will employ management systems and procedures specifically designed to minimise the use of energy, natural resources and hazardous materials, to minimise the generation of waste and enable recycling and reuse of materials.
The following measures will be taken by management and employees to reduce waste, prevent pollution and conserve water and energy:
- We will be audited by the Green Tourism Business Scheme.
- An Environmental Management Strategy will be implemented.
- Regular monitoring of the group’s energy/water/paper consumption will be undertaken.
- A Green Team will be put together with Green Champions helping to deliver initiatives.
- Recycling facilities will be in the workplace for a variety of waste types.
- The Environmental Policy will be made available to all employees, suppliers, homeowners and customers, and will be introduced to new employees at induction.
A statement of commitment
At Norfolk Country Cottages we are committed to reducing our carbon footprint in order to be more environmentally friendly. As a member of the global community we have a responsibility to shape ourselves as a low energy business, with regular reviews of our practises and processes so we can maintain this low energy status.
We have seen 20 years of continuous growth and with that growth comes an increased potential impact on the environment. However, as we grow, our potential to influence suppliers, homeowners, customers and competitors on green issues also increases. We understand that our business is highly dependent upon the natural beauty of the rural areas that our holiday homes are located in. To this end we must continue to work hard to protect these natural environments from pollution as well as looking to future proof our business through less dependence upon fossil fuels.